Choosing an Attorney
Choosing an asbestos lawyer can be as important a decision as choosing a doctor to treat mesothelioma. And as is the case with treatment, your legal options vary widely. Hundreds of personal-injury attorneys advertise on television and sponsor websites, and distinguishing between them can be a daunting task.
The following tips will be useful when contacting an attorney or law firm to determine who would be the best fit for you and your family:
- Make sure the attorney offers personal service. Many mesothelioma lawyers refer clients to other firms for a fee and will have little or nothing to do with you once they’ve signed you up. Look for a lawyer who will work with you throughout the legal process.
- Determine who will be managing your case. Many law firms across the United States send out a junior associate, or a paralegal, to meet with you. If the lawyer who is advertising his or her services does not meet with you from the outset, you might look for someone who does.
- Learn what services beyond legal representation the lawyer offers. While some attorneys will simply represent you in a court proceeding, others will provide or connect you with support services and medical care, and even pay for transportation and housing to get a second medical opinion from an experienced mesothelioma doctor.
“Make sure the attorney offers personal service and will work with you throughout the legal process”
- Make sure the attorney responds quickly and satisfactorily when you call. One of the biggest frustrations for mesothelioma victims is waiting for an attorney to answer questions or return phone calls. Some mesothelioma lawyers will always be available to their clients, while others will be easy to reach only until clients have signed a representation agreement.
- Beware of false promises. Each person’s case is different. Some are more difficult than others to litigate, and compensation may vary dramatically depending on a variety of factors. Not all cases yield million-dollar settlements or jury verdicts. It is important for your lawyer to walk you through the details of your case, explain its strengths and weaknesses, and be honest about your prospects for compensation as well as the timetable.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or other asbestos-related disease but have not yet hired a lawyer, or if you are not satisfied with how your lawyer is representing you, The Law Offices of Robert L. Steinberg offer a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case. Mr. Steinberg will speak with you directly by phone and arrange to meet with you personally – at no cost to you – to discuss your legal options.
Mr. Steinberg and his team meet the most demanding standards of service and client care in the legal profession. He will be involved in your case throughout the process and will help determine the best venue to proceed with your case; exhaustively research your case to maximize your chances of financial recovery; connect you with experienced mesothelioma doctors to ensure the best possible treatment; and provide direct access to support services for you and your family in your time of need.
To contact Mr. Steinberg, please submit your request form now.